The Songstress and Dancing Queens

Friday, April 14, 2006

Grandma enjoyed music very much. During the afternoons, she always listened to Chinese Opera music. Then, in the early evenings before dawn, she played more upbeat and modern songs by that time's standard. Later in the nights, she preferred ballads from her oldies collection.

Joyce and I often would get together in the evenings after having done our homework. That was the time the more "modern" hits came on at home. I didn't know the title of the songs then and I still don't know now except for a few like Funky Town, Careless Whisper and You're My Heart, You're My Soul.

We couldn't catch the lyrics of most songs but we belted them out heartfully anyway. It's not like anyone listened to us, so we were most confident in our "performances". But now, having known some lyrics to those songs, I laugh at how we improvised them. We used to sing "You're My Heart, You're My Soul" as "Yamaha, Yamaso". What do a 7-year old and a 9-year old know about heart and soul?

We not only sang the songs, we also danced gleefully to them. The dance steps, corny! But back then we felt like queens on a stage with a stadium full of spectators. I especially loved to wear a particular dress which had something like apron-strings to tie at the back of the dress. I would hold the apron-strings in each hand and twirl and wrap while I danced. I must've looked so darn silly.

Now, I'm just the opposite. I wouldn't dare belt out a tune and I now also know that I'm not great at dancing.


About me

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled. And that has made all the difference.

~ Robert Frost

Name: Eternity
From: Malaysia

About Dusty Roads
My blogs
Credits
  Distributed by:
Powered by :


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Malaysia License.

© 2006 thedustyroads.blogspot.com