My first ambition

Saturday, March 04, 2006

We lived with Grandma in our old house in the heart of KL city. It was where I spent most of my years growing up. Grandma was an amputee since a very young age and so it wasn't convenient for her to do much household chores. My aunties, who also lived in the same house, were mostly away at work.

Grandma hired an old lady, by the name of "Ah Yoong", and she came every other day to do our laundry. She would sit on a little squat-stool outside the bathroom, and brush and scrub the pile of clothes. She was surrounded by pails of water to rinse afterwards.

While she washed, Grandma would be in the kitchen next to the washroom. I think they were almost the same age, or maybe Ah Yoong was slightly older. They would chat away while each doing their own thing.

Anyway, in the mornings I would hang around watching both Grandma and Ah Yoong work. Sometimes, I would just squat opposite Ah Yoong and diligently watch her do the laundry. Don't ask me why. Maybe I had nothing better to do while all my cousins were away at school.

One day, my Mom asked me what I want to be when I grow up. Without much hesitation, I told her I wanted to wash clothes just like Ah Yoong! I don't remember what her reaction was when she heard her only daughter wanting to be a washer-woman.

Now, so many years later, Mom recalls my very first ambition and laughs. She tells her friends and they all laugh.

Like any other kid, since then I've had many change of hearts about what I want to be "when I grow up". There were more funny ones, and there were also noble ones.

But none that is what I am today.

I've since realised that the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" is a very difficult question to answer. Even adults may not have the answers and are still searching.

I know I am.


About me

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled. And that has made all the difference.

~ Robert Frost

Name: Eternity
From: Malaysia

About Dusty Roads
My blogs
Credits
  Distributed by:
Powered by :


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Malaysia License.

© 2006 thedustyroads.blogspot.com