The Fashion Divas

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Around the age of seven, my cousin Joyce and I loved watching TVB serials that Grandma rented from the video store. One of the more famous drama we were hooked on was "Siu Loong Lui" which I think translates to "Little Dragon Girl". But I can't vouch for that name, it's just my own interpretation. It starred a young Andy Lau as an apprentice to a lady kung-fu master.

Joyce and I were always fascinated with the period drama's dressing. The ladies wore long flowy dresses and had nice hair accessories.

On one of those days that we spent locked up in Grandma's room playing, we found some adult clothes - long flowy dresses that we suspect belonged to our aunts. We quickly tried them on and pretended to be the characters we watched on TV. We both had rather short hair at that time and to copy the hairstyles of the characters, we wrapped towels on our heads like how we would wrap up after a hair wash. The dangling towels on our shoulders were supposed to represent the long hair we didn't have.

And so we went on secretly "dressing" up almost everytime we got together to play. One day, while we were all dressed up, we heard one of our aunts calling for Joyce. She had a phone call. She took off the outfit and towel and went downstairs while I remained dressed in them and waited upstairs. She didn't come back for a long while and I was getting restless.

I went to the top of the stairs to peek what's taking her so long. I sat myself down, back leaning on the wall. I had one leg extended outwards while the other crossed over it. I thought I looked quite stylish. I don't know what I was doing but somehow I lost balance and was soon tumbling down the stairs!

While I was rolling downwards, my thoughts weren't on how I painful it was bumping down the edges of the staircase. But rather it was a sense of panic that others will see me dressed up ridiculously in that dress and towel on the head!

As my fall came to a halt at the landing of the staircase, I sat up and saw my aunt staring at me in disbelief. She didn't utter a word, not even to ask if I was alright. I think she was more shocked with what I was wearing than my fall. I didn't feel much pain but felt a hot flush across my face and without a word, ran all the way back up to the room. I don't think we played dressing up again after that incident.


About me

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled. And that has made all the difference.

~ Robert Frost

Name: Eternity
From: Malaysia

About Dusty Roads
My blogs
Credits
  Distributed by:
Powered by :


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Malaysia License.

© 2006 thedustyroads.blogspot.com