My first year at school

Friday, March 10, 2006

My first school was Fatimah Kindergarten in KL when I was 6. My cousin, Aaron, had been attending the same kindergarten at the age of 4 and was in the same class as me. So I took comfort that I have family in class. I was and still am, a shy person. Rather introverted. So it is always good to have some familiar faces wherever I go.

I was a scrawny kid back then and rather sickly, too. I frequented our family clinic a lot because I easily came down with fevers, flu, wind problem (imagine a skinny kid with a bloated stomach), brochitis problem, and one time even a suspected dengue case! Anyway, due to my fragile outlook and sickly track record, I was always excused from carrying my own chair. Each day we had to put up our own chair onto the table at the end of the class. The teacher always had one of my classmate do that for me.

A couple of silly things took place during that period.


1. Scare The Teacher
In the mornings, I normally have breakfast at home before attending school. One morning I had what the Chinese call "Fatt Ko" (a kind of starchy cake, usually in colours like baby pink or light yellow) with a glass of Ribena. Halfway through class, I felt sick and wanted to throw up. My worried teacher saw me to the washroom and helped me. After my vomiting episode, she immediately called my mom and told her that I had vomited blood! Of course I wasn't vomiting blood. It was just my Ribena gushing out. But I sure scared the guts out of my teacher and she in turn scared the wits out of my mom.

2. Embarass The Cousin
There was also once when Aaron was acting like a jerk and made me cry in class. I don't remember exactly what he did. On seeing this, the teacher made him take my hand and walk with me at the playing field as a way to make peace and to paficy me. He did as he was told but rather grudgingly. Even at that age, I could understand that pissed off look on his face. I bet he must've been angry that I made him look so un-macho in front of the whole class.

3. A Halloween Or A Concert?
Both Aaron and I were also involved in the kindergarten concert. It was some barnyard animal thing that we were doing and I was a bumble bee. Aaron, well, he was a worm. It wasn't so bad as I was enjoying the daily rehearsals. It was fun. Until the day we saw the costumes we had to put on. Mine was a yellow and black stripe outfit, from head to toe. Literally. I had to wear a cap, like that of a swimmer's, and that too was striped like a bee should be. Aaron's, on the other hand, was a white costume, also from head to toe complete with a matching cap. We stood side by side on the day of the concert to let our parents snap a picture. I recognise that pissed off look on his face instantly.

4. Fashion Sense
I've always had long hair and wore them in pony-tails. Until one day I contracted lice! It was a painful experience, having to wash my hair with this blue medicated (not to mention stinky) shampoo. All the brushing through my tangled hair hurt too. In the end, as a last resort, I had to cut off a good portion of my hair. It was the first time I sported a boy-cut hairstyle and wasn’t happy about it. I remember seeing pictures of myself in that haircut and it was always a sulky face.

5. English, Please!
I spoke horrible English back then. Once, when my mom asked me how I suggest to be going to school, I simply said "I leg to school". Didn't know the word "walk"! Another time when I was asked what kind of race my friends at school are, I said "They are Engwish people". When asked why they are "Engwish", I replied "Because they talk in Engwish". Smart or what?

6. Independence
On my first day at the kindie, Mom brought me there and stayed to see that I was OK, just like many parents did. Although being an introvert, I felt pretty at ease. So I told her to go home. I was making some gestures with my hand, waving her away and when she didn't understand my hand-language, I went to tell her that she can go home. I looked around the kids surrounding me and couldn't understand why some cried while some looked for the faces of his or her parents who were "lurking" outside the door. I was strangely comfortable.

Those are the ones I remember for now. Pretty much sums up my very first year at school. When I recall more, this space will grow. I sure did a lot of funny stuff back then.

Apart from the silliness, I recall the times when we sat at the porch of the kindie and learned nursery rhymes. I also wanted to learn to play the piano and insisted that the piano teacher taught me one of Richard Clayderman's pieces during my first piano lesson. She refused and taught me Do-Re-Me instead.

I also made some good friends there. I was particularly good friends with two girls named Janet and Pauline. However, when we went our separate ways at the end of our kindie, that was also the end of our friendship.

Those were the days.


About me

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled. And that has made all the difference.

~ Robert Frost

Name: Eternity
From: Malaysia

About Dusty Roads
My blogs
Credits
  Distributed by:
Powered by :


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Malaysia License.

© 2006 thedustyroads.blogspot.com