My first winter

Saturday, March 04, 2006

I was 8. My uncles and aunties were excitedly discussing about going to Hong Kong. They persuaded my mom to go too but she looked at me, torn between leaving me home and enjoying a well-deserved vacation for herself. In the end, she decided to bring me. I was overjoyed.

When we got there it was cold. For me, it was freezing cold. I was a skinny girl who lacked insulation. And so Uncle bought me a nice, thick winter jacket there. I was so in love with it. I finally have something that I only watched on TVB dramas! Imagine the vanity and excitement of a 8-year old.

We visited many places which by now I've forgotten. There was definitely shopping too. My aunts would never pass up that kind of opportunity. We did so much walking that there were times I got so tired I had to be piggy-backed.

One of the places I remember very well is The Peak. I remember because I insisted we all go there. The night before, everybody was discussing where to visit and it didn't include The Peak. For some reason, I wanted so much to go and when they decided it's not to be, I declared I'd take a tour on my own. I think I got their attention from that second. The next day, everybody went with me to The Peak.

They never regretted it because while we were there, we saw a group of actors shooting a famous TVB drama at that time. If I'm not mistaken, it was a drama called The Cameleon. I was so excited because I admired one of those actors and he agreed to be photographed! I was grinning from ear to ear. The sad part is that I can't find those photos anymore.

What I do have is this one, where I put on a costume from the olden days and pretended to be a princess (it only lasted 30 seconds for this photo shot).


In the nights, I never went to bed early despite a tiring day. While everyone unwound and prepared to sleep, I was hogging the TV and watching chinese dramas, episodes after episodes. It was like a TV haven for me because back in Malaysia at that time there was only 1 hour of TVB show a day. I was a TVB freak then, and now just a regular TV addict.

I enjoyed my every moment there, be it visiting places, shopping with the adults, eating (my favourite was the roast goose), and even "entertainment" in the hotel room.

I never got to visit Hong Kong again until 3 years ago, on a business trip. Ahh, that is another story to tell next time.



About me

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled. And that has made all the difference.

~ Robert Frost

Name: Eternity
From: Malaysia

About Dusty Roads
My blogs
Credits
  Distributed by:
Powered by :


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Malaysia License.

© 2006 thedustyroads.blogspot.com